BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany
1228 Western Avenue, Albany, NY 12203-3326
Phone: 518/489-2981 | Fax: 518/489-8967 | 192 Rooms
Check Out Time: 12:00 PM | Check In: 3:00 PM | Online Reservations
Welcome to the BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel Albany!
When staying at our Albany hotel, a trip to the Crossgates Mall is a must, whether you’re here for an event at SUNY Albany (Albany University) or just getting away from the city.
A great academic community, the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering (CNSE) and the College of St. Rose are also in the neighborhood. We cater to all guests, whether you’re a healthcare professional at Albany Medical Center or simply touring a nearby college campus, our friendly staff members will make you feel at home.
Catch a game at the Times Union Center or take a stroll around Washington Park. The Palace Theatre always features exciting shows and don’t forget to attend a SUNY athletic event. They bring athletes and fans to the area from around the country. Take in a Guilderland Soccer Tournament or visit the Saratoga Racecourse for an adrenaline rush.
Even if you’re here to take the NYS Bar Exam, it’s important to treat yourself after those months of studying. How about a trip to the Altamont Fairgrounds to see what’s happening? All year-round there are special events taking place. Employees of General Electric (GE®) and Global Foundries® are a couple of our regular guests, and we prioritize business travelers who want to feel at home. Close to the Amtrak Rensselaer Station and Albany International Airport, traveling is easy at our Albany hotel.
Nearby, the NYS Museum and Empire State Plaza are must-sees for vacationers. Tour the capitol buildings and try out some of the local fare. Afterwards, you can rest easy in your spacious room with luxurious bedding. It’s the little touches that make any trip special, and we combine the best in service with the best amenities.
Book a room at the BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel Albany now!
Hotel Amenities & Services
- Complimentary full breakfast Full hot American buffet breakfast served 6:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. every day
- Indoor pool Heated
- Exercise facility Open from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. 2 treadmills, stationary bike and weight machine
- Cocktail lounge 1228 Grill & Bar located on premises serving breakfast from 6:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. and dinner from 4:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. daily. Happy hour 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Closed on Sundays.
- Safe deposit box
- Two elevators
- Airport courtesy shuttle available, make prior arrangements with hotel. Based on availability.
- Local shuttle, availble. Make prior arrangements with hotel. Based on availability,
- Free parking
- Truck/RV parking Outdoor
- Meeting facilities 6 Function rooms, 2 Boardrooms Total: 6500 Sq. Ft. meeting space
- Banquet facilities Accommodates 10 - 350 guests.
- Steam room
- Conference services
- Business center available 24 hours
- Universal gym
- Fax services - nominal fee
- Stationary bike
- Locker room
- 24-hour front desk
- Express check out
- Cable or satellite television
- Fax machine
- Computer available
- Photocopy, nominal fee
- Mail services United Postal Service
- Wedding services Contact Catering Sales Manager for assistance
- Conference facilities 6 Function rooms, 2 Boardrooms. Total: 6500 Sq. Ft. meeting space
- Ballroom 6 Function rooms
- Interior corridor
- Elevator, wheelchair accessible 2 elevators
- Parking for the physically challenged
- Ice/vending machines One on every floor
- Outdoor parking
- Higher rates may apply for holidays/special events
BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany
Take advantage of the savings and fun with these 2 package deals available at the best western sovereign hotel - albany in Albany.
BAR Exam Package 2 Night
Need a ride? Don't let taxi drivers overcharge! Single room for two nights and one round-trip ticket to New York State Bar Exam at the Empire State Plaza - Shuttle is for Tuesday 25, 2014 and Wednesday February 26, 2014.
BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany
Conveniently located, the best western sovereign hotel - albany in Albany, New York is shown on the map. Detailed driving directions from popular points or nearby cities are listed below. For those with GPS, here you go:
Longitude: 42.677765 / Latitude: -73.827825
Driving Directions to Hotel
From: Airport. Albany International Airport-Turn left from the airport parking, follow signs to 87 South for one mile. Turn right onto 87 South, follow Western Avenue Lane to the end. At traffic light, turn left onto Route 20 East -Western Avenue. The BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany is one mile on your right.
From: North. Saratoga, Lake George, Lake Placid, Montreal. Take I-87 South to the end. At traffic light, turn left onto Rt.20 E -Western Avenue. The BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany is one mile on your right.
From: South. Kingston, Newburg, New York City, New Jersey. Take I-87 N to Exit 24. After the toll, follow Exit 1S -Western Avenue- to the end. At traffic light, turn left onto Route20 E -Western Avenue. The BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany is one mile on your right.
From: Utica, Cooperstown, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo. Take I-90 E to Exit 24. After the toll, follow Exit 1S -Western Avenue- to the end. At traffic light, turn left onto Route 20 E -Western Avenue. The BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany is one mile on your right.
From: East (Boston) Take I-90 W, take Exit B1, follow I-90 W to Exit 1S -Western Avenue- to the end. At traffic light, turn left onto Rt.20 E -Western Avenue. The BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany is one mile on your right.
From: Points East. East Greenbush, Rensselaer, and Castleton. Take I-90 W toward Buffalo. Take Exit 1S -Western Avenue- to the end. At traffic light, turn left onto Route 20 E -Western Avenue. The BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany is one mile on your right.
BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany
We care about the quality of your stay with us. Below are nearby attractions, shopping and restaurants that are popular with our guests. Listed locations are nearby with approximate distance listed where available.
Most Popular Area Attractions
Set in New York’s capital city, the Albany International Airport (ALB) is a public airport set just north of Albany. Established in 1908, ALB supports major airlines such as Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, and US Airways.
Supporting four terminals, ALB serves the city of Albany as well as central New York. When flying into New York’s capital city, be sure to find a nearby Best Western hotel in Albany.
Completed in 1976, the Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller Empire State Plaza – more commonly known as Empire State Plaza – is located in downtown Albany, New York. Comprised of eight buildings, the complex most notably features a uniquely shaped performing arts theater and meeting center called the Egg, and Corning Tower – the tallest building in New York outside of New York City.
Visitors to the plaza will find numerous memorials, including the New York State Fallen Firefighters Memorial. Throughout the plaza, the Empire State Plaza Art Collection features over 90 large paintings, as well as sculptures and tapestries.
Opened on Memorial Day, 1926, the FASNY Museum of Firefighting draws enthusiasts to the Hudson Valley community of Hudson – less than 45 minutes south of Albany. Home to a great number of historical artifacts, the museum aims to preserve the history of early firefighting.
Funded in part by the likes of the FASNY Foundation, Liberty Mutual Insurance, and TD Bank, FASNY offers visitors interactive tours and exhibits. Past favorites include “Then, Now and Always: Firefighting from Ancient Times through the 1900s.”
Featuring a 1,600-foot vertical drop, the Hunter Mountain Ski Area is located in the Hudson Valley community of Hunter, New York – an hour south of Albany. With over 240 acres of skiable area, Hunter Mountain is a popular destination for skiing, snowboarding, snow tubing, as well as snowshoeing.
Boasting 58 trails, Hunter Mountain was the first area in the world to utilize summit to base snowmaking – now combining with natural elements to average 85 inches per year. Skiers can relax at the CopperTree Restaurant before hitting trails like The Milky Way and East Side Drive.
The New York State Capital City of Albany dates back to 1614, when the first European settlers arrived. It was charted as a city in 1686 and became the state capital in 1797. By 1867, work had begun on the New York State Capitol building and took thirty years to complete. This impressive white granite Romanesque Revival and Neo-Renaissance style building was the most expensive building built at the time, at a cost of $25 million.
Enjoy a guided tour this National Historic Landmark to view the beautiful, vast Assembly Chamber, where the New York State Legislature meets. Continue your tour in the lobby, to view the huge vaulted Moorish-Gothic ceiling and onto the three major staircases: the Great Western Staircase, the Senate Staircase and the Assembly Staircase. After the tour, check into one of the Albany Best Western hotels, to enjoy comfortable lodging and excellent guest services.
Enrich your knowledge of New York, while visiting the Capital City of Albany. Spend an afternoon touring the New York State Museum. This historical museum was established in 1836 as the New York State Geological and Natural History Survey and is located on the south side of the Empire State Plaza, facing the New York State Capitol. It is the oldest museum in the country. Schedule plenty of time for touring the four floors of the museum, the largest in the state.
While browsing the displays of artifacts, have fun riding the working carousel built between 1912 and 1916. Permanent exhibits include the Ancient Life of New York, Mineral of New York, Native Peoples of New York, Fire Engine Hall, The World Trade Center: Rescue, Recovery, Response and Windows on New York. Enjoy your time in Albany as a guest of Best Western hotels and have fun in the Capital City.
With the seating capacity for 15,500 sports fans, the Times Union Center is set in downtown Albany, New York. Owned by Albany County and operated by SMG, the arena is home to the AHL Albany Devils hockey team, as well as Siena College's men's basketball team, the Siena Saints.
Formerly known as Knickerbocker Arena and Pepsi Arena, the facility was opened with a performance by the legendary Frank Sinatra. Times Union Center has since remained a go-to venue for big-name concerts – past headliners include Billy Joel, Elton John, U2, Bruce Springsteen, and Pearl Jam.
While touring the Capital City of Albany, stop and smell the tulips at one of the city's premier parks. Visit Washington Park, in central Albany, for a fun-filled day outside. This historical 136-acre park was established in 1870. Enjoy exploring this magnificent park and its many features, including the original 1875 footbridge that crosses Washington Park Lake. The lawn in front of the 1929 brick Spanish Revival style Washington Park Lake House, has hosted plays for more than twenty years.
Several monuments adorn the park. Be sure to view the park's first memorial, a bust of Dr. James H. Armsby, the co-founder of Albany Medical College and the King Memorial Fountain. The park hosts several concerts, special events and festivals throughout the year. The annual Tulip Festival has been held at the park since 1949, showcasing the park's 200,000 tulips. Whether strolling the park's grounds, playing a game of tennis or basketball or relaxing by the lake, this beautiful park is a wonderful place to spend the day. Stay close to the park in one of the Albany Best Western hotel for a peaceful night's rest.
More Area Attractions & Services
- 3.00 mile(s) from New York State Capitol
- 4.00 mile(s)from The Executive Mansion, the Governors home in the Capitol.
- 4.00 mile(s)from The Egg, offering the best in music, theatre and dance.
- 4.00 mile(s) from downtown Albany, city hall and court of appeals
- 4.00 mile(s) from USS Slater DE - 766, a World War II destroyer escorts Nazi U - Boats on the North Atlantic, built in 1943
- 4.00 mile(s) from New York State Museum and
- 4.00 mile(s) from ESP
- 4.00 mile(s) from Planetarium
- 4.00 mile(s) from Heritage and Washington P
- 4.00 mile(s) from Albany Aqua Duck, a 42 seat amphibious vehicle to tour of Albany and the Hudson River. Operates April - November
- 4.00 mile(s) from Hudson River
- 4.00 mile(s) from Times Union Center
- 4.00 mile(s) from Institue of History & Art
- 5.00 mile(s) from Dutch Apple Cruise
- 5.00 mile(s) from Palace Theater
- 5.00 mile(s) from Capitol Repertory Theatre
- 5.00 mile(s) from Port of Albany
- 5.00 mile(s) from Proctor Theatre
- 6.00 mile(s) from Schuyler Manion, The 1761 Georgian home of Revolutionary War General Philip Schuyler and his family
- 6.00 mile(s) from Ten Broeck Mansion, the home, a Federal style house with sloping lawns and formal garden built in 1798
- 8.00 mile(s) from Pruyn House, a historic connection to the Dutch heritage of Albany
- 8.00 mile(s) from Clifton Park
- 12.00 mile(s) from Altamont Fairground
- 12.00 mile(s) from Appel Inn Banquet House
- 1.3 mile(s) from Bob Ford Field hosts football games for the Univeristy at Albany.
- 1.00 mile(s) from Stuyvesant Plaza
- 2.00 mile(s) from Crossgates Mall
- 3.00 mile(s) from Colonie Center
- 3.00 mile(s) from Northway Mall
- 4.00 mile(s) from Westgates Mall
- 4.00 mile(s) from Wolf Road Shopper's Park
- 4.00 mile(s) from Star Plaza
- 4.0 mile(s) from 20 Mall
- 5.00 mile(s) from Huck Finn's Warehouse
- 8.00 mile(s) from Delaware Shopping Center
Distances to Popular Points of Interest
- 3.00 mile(s) from Albany
- 8.00 mile(s) from Latham
- 8.00 mile(s) from Rensselaer
- 8.00 mile(s) from Delmar
- 8.00 mile(s) from Troy
- 10.00 mile(s) from Rotterdam
- 12.00 mile(s) from Clifton Park
- 12.00 mile(s) from East Greenbush
- 12.00 mile(s) from Schenectady
- 12.00 mile(s) from Malta
- 25.00 mile(s) from Saratoga Springs
- 40.00 mile(s) from Glens Falls
- 50.00 mile(s) from Lake George
- 70.00 mile(s) from Cooperstown
- 75.00 mile(s) from Utica
- 80.00 mile(s) from Westfield, MA
- 80.00 mile(s) from West Springfield, MA
- 108 mile(s) from Hartford, CT
- 159 mile(s) from New York City
- 166 mile(s) from Boston, MA
- 180 mile(s) from Syracuse
- 200 mile(s) from Ithaca
- 226 mile(s) from Montreal
- 360 mile(s) from Buffalo
- 2.00 mile(s) from Nanotech
- 2.00 mile(s) from Sematech North America
- 2.00 mile(s) from NY State Police Academy & NY State Offices Campus
- 2.00 mile(s) from Washington Medical Arts
- 2.00 mile(s) from Executive Park
- 2.00 mile(s) from Great Oak Corporates
- 3.00 mile(s) from Charles Park
- 3.00 mile(s) from Corporate Circle
- 3.00 mile(s) from AMRI, Inc
- 3.00 mile(s) from Merak N.A
- 3.00 mile(s) from Columbia Circle
- 3.00 mile(s) from NY Independence Sys. Operations
- 3.00 mile(s) from Empire State Plaza
- 3.00 mile(s) from Wolf Road Business
- 3.00 mile(s) from Albany Medical Center
- 3.00 mile(s) from Transworld Entertainment
- 4.00 mile(s) from Federal Office Building
- 4.00 mile(s) from Corporate Woods
- 8.00 mile(s) from GE Plastic
- 10.00 mile(s) from Albany International Corp.
- 12.00 mile(s) from Luther Forest Technology, Future home of AMD
- 15.00 mile(s) from GE, Schenectady
- 0.10 mile(s) from State University of Albany, 1400 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12222
- 3.00 mile(s) from The College of St. Rose, 432 Western Avenue, Albany, NY 12203
- 4.00 mile(s) from Siena College, 515 Loudon Road, Loudonville, NY 12110
- 4.00 mile(s) from Excelsior College, 7 Columbia Circle, Albany, NY 12203
- 4.00 mile(s) from Cornell University, 90 State Street, Ste.600, Albany, NY 12207
- 5.00 mile(s) from Albany Medical College, 43 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208
- 6.00 mile(s) from Albany College, Pharmacy, 106 New Scotland Ave. Albany, NY 12208
- 6.00 mile(s) from Albany Law School, 80 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208
- 6.00 mile(s) from Maria College, 700 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208
- 1.6 mile(s) from CNSE - SUNY College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering.
Local Area Recreation Opportunities
- Steam room
- 6.00 mile(s) from Western Turpike Golf, Public golf course
- The 1228 Grill & Bar, on premises, Full Service, American, Open for: breakfast 6:30 am - 10:00 am Mon - Sat. Open for dinner 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm Mon - Sat. Happy Hour 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm Mon - Sat. Closed on Sundays.
- Adjacent to Sutter's Mill & Co, Pub, American, Open for: lunch, dinner,
- 0.50 mile(s) from Barcelona, Bar/Lounge, Italian, Open for: lunch, dinner, 11:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Mediteranean/Italian Cuisine
- 0.50 mile(s) from Maggie's Cafe, Bar/Lounge, Italian, Open for: lunch, dinner, 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- 0.50 mile(s) from Across The Street Pub, Pub, American, Open for: lunch, dinner, Burger, Sandwiches and Wings.
- 1.00 mile(s) from Boston Market, Fast Food, American, Open for: lunch, dinner, 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- 1.00 mile(s) from Burger King®, Fast Food, American, Open for: breakfast, lunch, dinner, 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- 1.00 mile(s) from Ninety Nine, Bar/Lounge, American, Open for: lunch, dinner, 11:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- 2.00 mile(s) from McDonald's®, Fast Food, American, Open for: breakfast, lunch, dinner, 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- 4.00 mile(s) from DP's, Brasserie, Continental, Open for: lunch, dinner,
- 4.00 mile(s) from Delmonico, Full Service, Steak House, Open for: lunch, dinner, Italian Steak House Restaurant
- 4.00 mile(s) from Red Lobster, Full Service, Seafood, Open for: lunch, dinner,
- 4.00 mile(s) from Macaroni Grill, Full Service, American, Open for: lunch, dinner,
- 4.00 mile(s) from Capital Buffet, Buffet, Chinese, Open for: lunch, dinner,
BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany
Enjoy your stay with us even more by checking out some of the most popular area points of interest and local area events happening in or near Albany. Chase the links to explore the local region even more.
Local Events Worth Considering:
Albany Last Run 5K
Participants in Albany's Last Run are treated to a dazzling display of holiday lights as the course runs through Washington Park's Capital Holiday Lights. Spectacular fireworks show and post-race party also await runners. Race starts at 5 pm on Washington Ave.
Wine & Dine for the Arts
This festival reveals the highlights of Albany's restaurant scene and provides sustainable funding for the support and preservation of the local art community. Come taste over 250 wines and spirits, the cuisine of over 70 chefs, and witness 4 chef competitions. Events are held all over town.
66th Annual Albany Tulip Festival
100,000 tulip bulbs blossom in anticipation for Mother's Day in Albany's Washington Park. Other historic events include the scrubbing of State Street, the Tulip Queen Coronation, the Court Luncheon, and the Royal Tulip Ball. Other festival activities are also included.
Annual Troy Pig Out
Riverfront Park in Troy hosts the annual Troy Pig Out, a festival jammed packed with chef demonstrations, kids' activities, music, and the ultimate BBQ. The festivities start at 11 am.
Downtown Troy Chowderfest
Chowder-lovers come in droves to eat, judge, and celebrate chowder. Over 30 restaurants will fill Troy's Riverfront Park with booths for tasting as visitors eat and celebrate with live music and activities.
Saratoga Fall Festival
The whole community of Saratoga Springs kicks off the fall season with welcoming fun for the whole family. Highlights include carousel rides, costume parades, trick or treating, photo booths, petting zoo, bobbing for apples, pumpkin decorating, and more.
Alberta | British Columbia | Manitoba | New Brunswick | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec | Saskatchewan | Yukon | Caribbean