BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany
1228 Western Avenue, Albany, NY 12203-3326
Phone: 518/489-2981 | Fax: 518/489-8967 | 192 Rooms
Check Out Time: 11:00 AM | Check In: 3:00 PM | Online Reservations
Welcome to the BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel Albany!
When staying at our Albany hotel, a trip to the Crossgates Mall is a must, whether you’re here for an event at SUNY Albany (Albany University) or just getting away from the city.
A great academic community, the College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering (CNSE) and the College of St. Rose are also in the neighborhood. We cater to all guests, whether you’re a healthcare professional at Albany Medical Center or simply touring a nearby college campus, our friendly staff members will make you feel at home.
Catch a game at the Times Union Center or take a stroll around Washington Park. The Palace Theatre always features exciting shows and don’t forget to attend a SUNY athletic event. They bring athletes and fans to the area from around the country. Take in a Guilderland Soccer Tournament or visit the Saratoga Racecourse for an adrenaline rush.
Even if you’re here to take the NYS Bar Exam, it’s important to treat yourself after those months of studying. How about a trip to the Altamont Fairgrounds to see what’s happening? All year-round there are special events taking place. Employees of General Electric (GE®) and Global Foundries® are a couple of our regular guests, and we prioritize business travelers who want to feel at home. Close to the Amtrak Rensselaer Station and Albany International Airport, traveling is easy at our Albany hotel.
Nearby, the NYS Museum and Empire State Plaza are must-sees for vacationers. Tour the capitol buildings and try out some of the local fare. Afterwards, you can rest easy in your spacious room with luxurious bedding. It’s the little touches that make any trip special, and we combine the best in service with the best amenities.
Book a room at the BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel Albany now! Renovation of lobby is under way to better guest experience until further notice. We look forward to an upgraded and enhanced lobby. We apologize for any inconvenience the updates may cause.
Hotel Amenities & Services
- Exercise facilities
- 100% smoke-free hotel
- Complimentary full breakfast Full hot American buffet breakfast served 6:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. Mon-Fri and 6:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Sat & Sun
- Indoor pool Heated
- Exercise facility Open from 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. 2 treadmills, stationary bike and weight machine
- Cocktail lounge Complimentary full hot breakfast buffet is served daily. Casa Real,an independently owned restaurant,offers affordable authentic Mexican cuisine. Full bar on property as well. Hours 11:00AM -11:00 PM, seven days a week.
- Safe deposit box
- Two elevators Hotel has 2 elevators
- Complimentary Shuttle to Albany International Airport. Please call hotel for details. 7:00 a.m. until 10:00 p.m.
- Local shuttle, Complimentary shuttle to Crossgate Mall and Stuyvesant Plaza from 7am to 10pm. Other locations available for a fee of $15.00 per person. Please call the hotel for details.
- Free parking
- Truck/RV parking Outdoor
- Meeting facilities 6 Function rooms, 2 Boardrooms Total: 6500 Sq. Ft. meeting space
- Banquet facilities Accommodates 10 - 350 guests.
- Steam room
- Conference services
- Business center Available 24-hours. Business center includes two touch screen computers and printers.
- Universal gym
- Fax services - nominal fee
- Stationary bike
- Locker room
- 24-hour front desk
- Express check out
- Cable or satellite television HBO®
- Fax machine
- Computer available
- Photocopy, nominal fee
- Mail services United Postal Service
- Wedding services Contact Catering Sales Manager for assistance
- Conference facilities 6 Function rooms, 2 Boardrooms. Total: 6500 Sq. Ft. meeting space
- Ballroom 6 Function rooms
- Interior corridor
- Elevator, wheelchair accessible 2 elevators
- Parking for the physically challenged
- Ice/vending machines One on every floor
- Outdoor parking
- Laundromat Coin Operated washers and dryers available on 2nd and 4th floor
- Free wireless internet available in public areas; Free in-room wireless internet access; Free wireless internet access available in public areas and all guest rooms
BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany
Take advantage of the savings and fun with this special offer available at the best western sovereign hotel - albany in Albany.
BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany
Conveniently located, the best western sovereign hotel - albany in Albany, New York is shown on the map. Detailed driving directions from popular points or nearby cities are listed below. For those with GPS, here you go:
Longitude: 42.677765 / Latitude: -73.827825
Driving Directions to Hotel
From: Airport. Albany International Airport-Turn left from the airport parking, follow signs to 87 South for one mile. Turn right onto 87 South, follow Western Avenue Lane to the end. At traffic light, turn left onto Route 20 East -Western Avenue. The BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany is one mile on your right.
From: North. Saratoga, Lake George, Lake Placid, Montreal. Take I-87 South to the end. At traffic light, turn left onto Rt.20 E -Western Avenue. The BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany is one mile on your right.
From: South. Kingston, Newburg, New York City, New Jersey. Take I-87 N to Exit 24. After the toll, follow Exit 1S -Western Avenue- to the end. At traffic light, turn left onto Route20 E -Western Avenue. The BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany is one mile on your right.
From: Utica, Cooperstown, Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo. Take I-90 E to Exit 24. After the toll, follow Exit 1S -Western Avenue- to the end. At traffic light, turn left onto Route 20 E -Western Avenue. The BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany is one mile on your right.
From: East (Boston) Take I-90 W, take Exit B1, follow I-90 W to Exit 1S -Western Avenue- to the end. At traffic light, turn left onto Rt.20 E -Western Avenue. The BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany is one mile on your right.
From: Points East. East Greenbush, Rensselaer, and Castleton. Take I-90 W toward Buffalo. Take Exit 1S -Western Avenue- to the end. At traffic light, turn left onto Route 20 E -Western Avenue. The BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany is one mile on your right.
BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany
We care about the quality of your stay with us. Below are nearby attractions, shopping and restaurants that are popular with our guests. Listed locations are nearby with approximate distance listed where available.
Most Popular Area Attractions
Albany International Airport
Set in New York’s capital city, the Albany International Airport (ALB) is a public airport set just north of Albany.
Established in 1908, ALB supports major airlines like Delta Air Lines, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, and US Airways.
Supporting four terminals, ALB serves the region central New York, and is a focus city for Cape Air. ALB is owned by Albany County, and operated by the Albany County Airport Authority.
Empire State Plaza
Comprised of eight buildings, the complex most notably features a uniquely shaped performing arts theater and meeting center called the Egg, and Corning Tower – the tallest building in New York outside of New York City.
Visitors to the plaza will find numerous memorials, including the New York State Fallen Firefighters Memorial.
Throughout the plaza, the Empire State Plaza Art Collection features over 90 large paintings, as well as sculptures and tapestries.
Opened on Memorial Day, 1926, the FASNY Museum of Firefighting draws enthusiasts to the Hudson Valley community of Hudson – less than 45 minutes south of Albany. Home to a great number of historical artifacts, the museum aims to preserve the history of early firefighting.
Funded in part by the likes of the FASNY Foundation, Liberty Mutual Insurance, and TD Bank, FASNY offers visitors interactive tours and exhibits. Past favorites include “Then, Now and Always: Firefighting from Ancient Times through the 1900s.”
Stretched across 10 counties throughout the New York Metro region, central New York, and as far north as Saratoga Springs, the Hudson Valley National Heritage Area acts as a unified series of over 20 sites with historical, cultural, and environmental significance found along the Hudson River. The region was acknowledged in 1996.
Beginning in New York City, sites like the St. Paul’s Church National Historic Site can be found. Heading north, towns like Nyack through West Coxsackie house the Camp Shanks WWII Museum and the Bronck Museum. Continuing north, Albany features must-sees like the Empire State Plaza Art Collection and the New York State Capitol.
Martin Van Buren National Historic Site
Located in New York’s Hudson Valley, the Martin Van Buren National Historic Site preserves the home of the eighth president, Martin Van Buren.
The historic site encompasses 125 acres in Kinderhook – roughly 20 miles south of Albany along the Hudson River.
Due to the large outdoor area abound, guests can explore the park via several nature trails, including, the Lindenwalk Wayside and Kinderhook Dutch Farming Heritage trails.
Moreover, guided tours of Van Buren’s Lindenwald Farm are offered almost daily.
New York State Capitol
This impressive white granite Romanesque Revival and Neo-Renaissance style structure was the most expensive building constructed at the time, at a cost of $25 million.
Former stomping grounds of Grover Cleveland and Teddy Roosevelt, the New York capitol is part of the Lafayette Park Historic District – and listed on the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
Enjoy a guided tour of this National Historic Landmark to view the vast Assembly Chamber, where the New York State Legislature meets.
Continue your tour in the lobby to view the huge vaulted Moorish-Gothic ceiling and onto the three major staircases: the Great Western Staircase, the Senate Staircase, and the Assembly Staircase.
New York State Museum
This historical museum was established in 1836 as the New York State Geological & Natural History Survey, and is located on the south side of the Empire State Plaza – facing the historic New York State Capitol.
While browsing the displays of artifacts, have fun riding the working carousel completed in 1916.
Permanent exhibits include the Ancient Life of New York, Mineral of New York, Native Peoples of New York, the Fire Engine Hall, The World Trade Center: Rescue, Recovery, Response, and Windows on New York.
Founded in 1937, Siena College is a private liberal arts college located in Loudonville – just north of Albany in the Hudson Valley. The 174-acre campus features notable sites like Siena Hall, the Morrell Science Center, Roger Beacon Hall, and plenty more.
The Siena Saints houses 18 Division I teams, competing in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference. The Siena Saints basketball teams play at the Times Union Center, where they have qualified for the NCAA Tournament numerous times.
Established in 1916, the Sage Colleges are three private universities found throughout New York State – Russell Sage College in Troy, Sage College of Albany in Albany, and Sage Graduate School, which operates in both Troy and Albany.
The Sage Colleges feature a diverse athletics program as well – collectively known as the Sage Gators. The Gators are members of the NCAA Division III, and they compete in the Skyline Conference and the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference.
With the seating capacity for 15,500 sports fans, the Times Union Center is set in downtown Albany, New York. Owned by Albany County and operated by SMG, the arena is home to the AHL Albany Devils hockey team, as well as Siena College's men's basketball team, the Siena Saints.
Formerly known as Knickerbocker Arena and Pepsi Arena, the facility was opened with a performance by the legendary Frank Sinatra. Times Union Center has since remained a go-to venue for big-name concerts – past headliners include Billy Joel, Elton John, U2, Bruce Springsteen, and Pearl Jam.
University at Albany
Established in 1844, the University at Albany, State University of New York, is primarily a research institution with three campuses in the Hudson Valley.
Both the Uptown and Downtown campuses are found in Albany, while the East Campus is in nearby Rensselaer.
The campuses feature a host of must-see buildings, like the Performing Arts Center and the University Art Museum at University of Albany uptown, and Page Hall downtown.
UAlbany is no stranger to great athletics – with the Albany Great Danes competing in the Division I American East Conference with 19 varsity teams.
This historical 136-acre park was established in 1870, and features an 1875 footbridge crossing Washington Park Lake.
The lawn in front of the 1929 brick Spanish Revival style Washington Park Lake House has hosted performing arts for more than 20 years. Several monuments adorn the park.
Be sure to view the park's first memorial, a bust of Dr. James H. Armsby, the co-founder of Albany Medical College and the King Memorial Fountain.
The annual Tulip Festival has been held at the park since 1949, showcasing the park's 200,000 tulips.
More Area Attractions & Services
- 3.00 mile(s) from New York State Capitol
- 4.00 mile(s)from The Executive Mansion, the Governors home in the Capitol.
- 4.00 mile(s)from The Egg, offering the best in music, theatre and dance.
- 4.00 mile(s) from downtown Albany, city hall and court of appeals
- 4.00 mile(s) from USS Slater DE - 766, a World War II destroyer escorts Nazi U - Boats on the North Atlantic, built in 1943
- 4.00 mile(s) from New York State Museum and
- 4.00 mile(s) from ESP
- 4.00 mile(s) from Planetarium
- 4.00 mile(s) from Heritage and Washington P
- 4.00 mile(s) from Albany Aqua Duck, a 42 seat amphibious vehicle to tour of Albany and the Hudson River. Operates April - November
- 4.00 mile(s) from Hudson River
- 4.00 mile(s) from Times Union Center
- 4.00 mile(s) from Institue of History & Art
- 5.00 mile(s) from Dutch Apple Cruise
- 5.00 mile(s) from Palace Theater
- 5.00 mile(s) from Capitol Repertory Theatre
- 5.00 mile(s) from Port of Albany
- 5.00 mile(s) from Proctor Theatre
- 6.00 mile(s) from Schuyler Manion, The 1761 Georgian home of Revolutionary War General Philip Schuyler and his family
- 6.00 mile(s) from Ten Broeck Mansion, the home, a Federal style house with sloping lawns and formal garden built in 1798
- 8.00 mile(s) from Pruyn House, a historic connection to the Dutch heritage of Albany
- 8.00 mile(s) from Clifton Park
- 12.00 mile(s) from Altamont Fairground
- 12.00 mile(s) from Appel Inn Banquet House
- 1.3 mile(s) from Bob Ford Field hosts football games for the Univeristy at Albany.
- 1.00 mile(s) from Stuyvesant Plaza
- 2.00 mile(s) from Crossgates Mall
- 3.00 mile(s) from Colonie Center
- 3.00 mile(s) from Northway Mall
- 4.00 mile(s) from Westgates Mall
- 4.00 mile(s) from Wolf Road Shopper's Park
- 4.00 mile(s) from Star Plaza
- 4.0 mile(s) from 20 Mall
- 5.00 mile(s) from Huck Finn's Warehouse
- 8.00 mile(s) from Delaware Shopping Center
Distances to Popular Points of Interest
- 3.00 mile(s) from Albany
- 8.00 mile(s) from Latham
- 8.00 mile(s) from Rensselaer
- 8.00 mile(s) from Delmar
- 8.00 mile(s) from Troy
- 10.00 mile(s) from Rotterdam
- 12.00 mile(s) from Clifton Park
- 12.00 mile(s) from East Greenbush
- 12.00 mile(s) from Schenectady
- 12.00 mile(s) from Malta
- 25.00 mile(s) from Saratoga Springs
- 40.00 mile(s) from Glens Falls
- 50.00 mile(s) from Lake George
- 70.00 mile(s) from Cooperstown
- 75.00 mile(s) from Utica
- 80.00 mile(s) from Westfield, MA
- 80.00 mile(s) from West Springfield, MA
- 108 mile(s) from Hartford, CT
- 159 mile(s) from New York City
- 166 mile(s) from Boston, MA
- 180 mile(s) from Syracuse
- 200 mile(s) from Ithaca
- 226 mile(s) from Montreal
- 360 mile(s) from Buffalo
- 2.00 mile(s) from Nanotech
- 2.00 mile(s) from Sematech North America
- 2.00 mile(s) from NY State Police Academy & NY State Offices Campus
- 2.00 mile(s) from Washington Medical Arts
- 2.00 mile(s) from Executive Park
- 2.00 mile(s) from Great Oak Corporates
- 3.00 mile(s) from Charles Park
- 3.00 mile(s) from Corporate Circle
- 3.00 mile(s) from AMRI, Inc
- 3.00 mile(s) from Merak N.A
- 3.00 mile(s) from Columbia Circle
- 3.00 mile(s) from NY Independence Sys. Operations
- 3.00 mile(s) from Empire State Plaza
- 3.00 mile(s) from Wolf Road Business
- 3.00 mile(s) from Albany Medical Center
- 3.00 mile(s) from Transworld Entertainment
- 4.00 mile(s) from Federal Office Building
- 4.00 mile(s) from Corporate Woods
- 8.00 mile(s) from GE Plastic
- 10.00 mile(s) from Albany International Corp.
- 12.00 mile(s) from Luther Forest Technology, Future home of AMD
- 15.00 mile(s) from GE, Schenectady
- 0.10 mile(s) from State University of Albany, 1400 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12222
- 3.00 mile(s) from The College of St. Rose, 432 Western Avenue, Albany, NY 12203
- 4.00 mile(s) from Siena College, 515 Loudon Road, Loudonville, NY 12110
- 4.00 mile(s) from Excelsior College, 7 Columbia Circle, Albany, NY 12203
- 4.00 mile(s) from Cornell University, 90 State Street, Ste.600, Albany, NY 12207
- 5.00 mile(s) from Albany Medical College, 43 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208
- 6.00 mile(s) from Albany College, Pharmacy, 106 New Scotland Ave. Albany, NY 12208
- 6.00 mile(s) from Albany Law School, 80 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208
- 6.00 mile(s) from Maria College, 700 New Scotland Avenue, Albany, NY 12208
- 1.6 mile(s) from CNSE - SUNY College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering.
Local Area Recreation Opportunities
- Steam room
- 6.00 mile(s) from Western Turpike Golf, Public golf course
- Tango Restaurant, on premises, Bar/Lounge, International, Open for: lunch, dinner, Uruguayan Cuisine; Open Monday - Thursday 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM, Friday 11:00 AM to 12:00 AM, Saturday 1:00 PM to 12:00 AM, and Sunday 1:00 PM to 9:00 PM.
- Adjacent to Sutter's Mill & Co, Pub, American, Open for: lunch, dinner
- 0.50 mile(s) from Barcelona, Bar/Lounge, Italian, Open for: lunch, dinner, 11:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. Mediteranean/Italian Cuisine
- 0.50 mile(s) from Maggie's Cafe, Bar/Lounge, Italian, Open for: lunch, dinner, 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- 0.50 mile(s) from Across The Street Pub, Pub, American, Open for: lunch, dinner, Burger, Sandwiches and Wings.
- 1.00 mile(s) from Boston Market, Fast Food, American, Open for: lunch, dinner, 11:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- 1.00 mile(s) from Burger King®, Fast Food, American, Open for: breakfast, lunch, dinner, 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- 1.00 mile(s) from Ninety Nine, Bar/Lounge, American, Open for: lunch, dinner, 11:30 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- 2.00 mile(s) from McDonald's®, Fast Food, American, Open for: breakfast, lunch, dinner, 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- 4.00 mile(s) from DP's, Brasserie, Continental, Open for: lunch, dinner
- 4.00 mile(s) from Delmonico, Full Service, Steak House, Open for: lunch, dinner, Italian Steak House Restaurant
- 4.00 mile(s) from Red Lobster, Full Service, Seafood, Open for: lunch, dinner
- 4.00 mile(s) from Macaroni Grill, Full Service, American, Open for: lunch, dinner
- 4.00 mile(s) from Capital Buffet, Buffet, Chinese, Open for: lunch, dinner
BEST WESTERN Sovereign Hotel - Albany
Enjoy your stay with us even more by checking out some of the most popular area points of interest and local area events happening in or near Albany. Chase the links to explore the local region even more.
Local Events Worth Considering:
DCRCOC Balloon Festival Don't miss the 2015 Dutchess County Regional Chamber of Commerce Balloon Festival – featuring hot air balloon liftoffs in Poughkeepsie and Dutchess County.
Dutchess Dragon Boat Race & Festival Catch the 2015 Dutchess Dragon Boat Race & Festival at the HRRA Community Boathouse in Poughkeepsie, accompanied by the Asian Cultural Festival.
2015 Dutchess County Fair The second largest agricultural fair in NYS, the 2015 Dutchess County Fair is held at the Dutchess County Fairgrounds in Rhinebeck.
Kevin McCurdy’s Haunted Mansion This Halloween season, check out Kevin McCurdy’s Haunted Mansion in Wappingers Falls throughout October.
2015 Revolutionary War Weekend
Don't miss historic trade demos, military reenactment programs, a supply depot site, and Continental Army graveyard at the Van Wyck Homestead in Fishkill.
NYS Sheep & Wool Family Festival Held at the Dutchess County Fairgrounds in Rhinebeck, the 2015 NYS Sheep & Wool Family Festival offers a spinning, dyeing, and weaving expo, and a livestock sale.
2015 Rhinebeck Arts Festival Catch crafts, music & art, film, food, and wine at the 2015 Rhinebeck Arts Festival – held at the Dutchess County Fairgrounds in Rhinebeck.
2015 Celebration of Lights Parade & Fireworks Hosted by the City of Poughkeepsie this holiday season, the 2015 Celebration of Lights Parade & Fireworks show starts at 6:30 p.m.
2015 Sinterklaas Rhinebeck The 2015 Sinterklaas Rhinebeck – or Dutch Christmas – is a free, day-long event featuring a festival and parade. Children’s Starlight Parade begins at dusk.
Alberta | British Columbia | Manitoba | New Brunswick | Nova Scotia | Ontario | Prince Edward Island | Quebec | Saskatchewan | Yukon | Caribbean